Most Surprising and Funny Google Search Terms in 2017
More than 5 billion queries are entered into the little Google Search box each day. And 15% of these searches are unique – that means no-one has searched for them before. So, it shouldn’t be a surprise that some of those search terms are quite unexpected or funny.
Working with Google AdWords you have the opportunity to see which search terms your ad has showed up on. We check these reports regularly to make sure everything is in order. Here, we have compiled a list of our favourite Search Terms Report discoveries for this year.
- Who doesn’t like to invent new words?
“comu torcaracea do celular nokia”
how to torcaracea from nokia phone
- Or just type in a bunch of words to see what comes up:
“uutiset mercedes benz cia shooting brake farmarin tulevaisuus”
news mercedes benz cia shooting brake farmers future
Because why bother making more than one search?
- Search terms can teach us about the past…
“hvordan kan jeg lage ny konto på pokemon go med samme email”
how can I open a new account on pokemon go with the same email
Some people are still playing this?
- … and future trends
“åpne konto i bank som godkjenner bitcoin”
open an account in a bank that accepts bitcoin
“10 small stuff that people use everyday”
“england eat everyday”
- We’ve all had this moment when…
“i need money now for free and fast”
Translation: “I am looking for a leprechaun.”
- Sometimes we make linguistic discoveries of our own language
dust coats (actually means trench coats)
If you’re an Estonian but you’ve never read old detective stories you might not have heard of this word.
pants with digital spots (military camo pants)
Probably not so familiar to people without a military background.
- Children’s wishes or grownups’?
“für spielen geld bekommen” – get money for play
“gängsteri riided” – gangster clothes
“kõhulihastega pluus” – shirt with abs
- Someone searching for…
“business loans for women”
Reminds us of how Bic created a line of pens “For Her” and was met with a wave of sarcastic consumer reviews online (link).
- And finally…
“aikuiset miehet lainaa koiran nenää” – grown up men lend dog’s nose
Does this need any explanation?*
Some AdWords tips we can take away from this:
- Broad match and phrase match are great for knowing what people want – but keep an eye on the search terms and add negatives when needed.
- Use more exact match if you don’t want to get such a broad variety of search terms prompting your ads.
Share with us in the comments if you’ve made any funny searches this year or found some pearls of wisdom among your AdWords search terms!
* It kept us scratching our noses (heads) for a while. But this obscure word-combination turned out to be a part of rap-lyrics (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihFToM9HOTI)
List of Sources: